Sunday, January 23, 2011

This Week's Update

This has been a fine week. Let's see... Jonah has a cold. Monday night he spent the night in the hospital because he had water in his lungs and the doc wanted to watch him. He came home Tuesday. He still has water in his lungs but is on a serious antibiotic so it won't turn to pneumonia. We've seen his eye doctor 3 times this week and his eye is slowly improving. They want to see him everyday but I feel that's a little excessive. He also had an upper GI study done Thursday and is now officially ready for his G-tube surgery. That's scheduled for February 16th. Yay!


That's all the business part of it. Here are the good parts. I love spending time with Jonah. He is so sweet and content and pure and innocent. I am still discovering his personality. Besides seeing some of his obvious traits, it takes more time to really see him because he can't express himself very well. One thing I really love about him is that he is here. I imagine in Heaven before he came, he was told this body would have lots of limitations and his time would be short. And because we all have our agency, I imagine he could've said no. But he is here. He is ours. I love him for it.

We took Jonah to *basketball games* on Saturday and church on Sunday. It feels so WONDERFUL to have all our family together. We have kept him home and away from 'germs' but he got a cold anyway and ended up in the hospital, so now we figure he is here to be with us, and be with us he shall. Life is a lot more fun when we are all together.


While driving to Salt Lake for appointments, I have lots of time to reflect on life. During these reflections I see the Lord's hand and am made aware of the many people that are sharing in Jonah's journey. We have had so many people offer to watch kids, give rides, bring meals, bring treats, bring gifts, and share thoughts of love and encouragement. None of these sacrifices for our family go unnoticed or unappreciated. I need to say thank you again. THANK YOU! Jonah's influence is connecting people through love. It is quite remarkable. It is quite humbling.


Here's a "Mom" note. The good news is that I am still sane. It is largely due to the goodness of others, as I have mentioned above, and also, with much thanks to my mother-in-law. While Nana and Grampa lived in New Zealand they cared for a special needs boy until he passed so they understand Jonah in a way that only parents who have lived through it can. Nana has been coming over in the mornings and tending Jonah and Jaya so I can go exercise and do errands. She does the things that need to be done, be it laundry, or cleaning, or cooking. Most importantly, she holds and loves Jonah. My kids spend a lot of time with Nana and I am comforted to see Jaya become more and more independent and happy instead of clingy and whiny. I have to admit that some mornings I am torn... I feel like these are my children and I should be able to take care of them. But I recognize Nana's love for her Grandchildren and me and I remind myself that I can't do it alone-I don't have to do it alone- and I need to accept the blessings Heavenly Father sends. So I thoroughly enjoy myself.:) The half-empty cup seems to be half-full, or even overflowing, when I return home. Thank you, Nana.

*I have to share the 'miracle' that happened yesterday for Cousin Danja. She and Tahlia play in the same basketball league, she plays for Mountain View's team. Yesterday, Tahlia's Springville team only had 4 players show up and Danja had played the game before Tahlia's, so we asked her to be our 5th player. It was a tough game. We had the lead the whole game, and then with about 2 minutes left the other team went up by one point. With about 35 seconds left, Tahlia dribbled down the court, got double teamed, and passed to Danja on the block. Danja turned and shot. She scored the game winner!! It was the first basket she has made all season. It was so fun to see how excited Danja was, and how excited Tahlia was for her. I love cousins! I am so glad we could all be there to share in it.*

**One other thing that made me smile this week: Mariah's very persuasive "Top Ten Reasons I Need a Cell Phone" list. I just have to share #8. "I will feel very mature when I get a phone otherwise I just feel like a kid on a 3 wheeler bike! Sad, huh?" Ahhh, who knew 13 would be SO FUN? Love you Ry!**

1 comment:

  1. Hi Behka! I'm so glad Jonah is getting through his cold okay. And so happy to hear of your great support system. That is so awesome. And I love hearing of the winning basket and the cell phone pleas! So great to hear how you are and so glad to hear of Jonah's life and sweetness. hugs, ylfe

    ReplyDelete