Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Jaya is Learning to SHARE!

Today, for craziness, I decided to go play basketball. I crave the exercise and miss my friends. Plus everyone wants to meet Jonah! So Jonah, Jaya, and I packed up and headed to the gym to meet the ladies. We have been playing for years. Anyway things were great until Jonah's oxygen monitor started beeping. When I got to him I realized that sweet Jaya was taking great care of Jonah and sharing her snacks with him. I pulled a piece of honey buzzer cereal out of his mouth and did a finger sweep. My pinky could feel one more piece further down his throat. I turned him upside down and gave a few wacks to his back and he started crying, so I knew he could breath. I did a few more finger sweeps and couldn't get that other piece out, in fact I was pushing it further down. It felt like a small broken piece, but it was definately down there. His oxygen was still really low so I hooked up his oxygen (with lots of helpful hands from teammates) and cranked it up and his oxygen level came up. I decided I'd have to take him to the emergency room to have them remove the darn honey buzzer. And while we were fussing over Jonah giving him a second to breath his oxygen, he spit the other cereal out. One whole full-sized, now soggy, honey buzzer. My boy who doesn't have a gag reflex and a very weak cough somehow managed to get that out of his throat. Nice work, Jonah!! I was one very grateful (and proud!!) Mom. Jaya now understands that there are no snacks for Jonah.

It makes me wonder how I have survived motherhood this long without an oxygen tank and monitor. I was tempted to hook myself up to Jonah's tank! Thanks to all my friends for not freaking out and helping me deal with the craziness.

Tomorrow Jonah sees the vision doc and has his brain tested to see if he can process sight. I am excited about this one. We want to understand what he's up to so we can help him reach his potential. On Thursday we see the g-tube surgeon. Also excited about that one because Jonah continues to reflux when he eats and has to have oxygen. Its getting worse. But Jonah battles through, spitting up and even swallowing. He has a lot going for him. It makes me excited about life for him!

3 comments:

  1. Behka, it sounds like Jonah is doing great and I can't wait to meet him. I hope to be by soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that's so great he was able to cough it up! I love hearing what he's up to and all of you. I'm glad you are able to get out and play some basketball. hopefully next time, it won't be scary! Glad he's doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Big J! Keep coughing! Loved that story, because it had a happy ending and because you never got mad at Jaya. You are a good mom.

    ReplyDelete