Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What's New?

Do you notice any changes in Jonah? I'll give you a hint, there are 3.

First, he HAS NO OXYGEN CORDS ON HIS FACE! This is today's goal, to keep the oxygen off. I am monitoring him to see how he does and his home health nurse is coming later. Isn't he a beautiful shade of pink? We think Jonah can do it all by his big self.

Second, he is indeed showing his battle wounds. The wraps came off today. Actually, Jaya pulled his bandaid off his head yesterday and freaked out because of Jonah's "OWIE!!". She was crying and screaming about it. The empathy a 21 month old can feel is amazing. But then who better understands an owie than one so young who is constantly bumping and bruising?


And lastly, can you see that double chin of his? He is putting on weight. We need him a little bigger and stronger before we try the g-tube surgery. Doesn't he look great?
Yesterday Jonah, Jaya and I spent the ENTIRE day in Salt Lake for eye appointments. What we learned is that Jonah has a cataract that completely covers his right eye. The doc explained that in a normal child he would remove the cataract immediately or else the child would lose vision completely in that eye. With Jonah, we need to test whether or not his brain is processing sight before we do an unnecessary surgery. So next week Jonah has another couple eye appointments for testing things. Jonah responds to light, so I know he sees some. I don't know if the benefits of the surgery outweigh the risks. Hopefully we'll figure that out next week. I need a few good books as I hurry up and wait at these appts. Any recommendations?

2 comments:

  1. He has such cute little expressions! And yes, I noticed how cute and chubby he is too! I LOVE little baby rolls. How come the rolls don't look as cute on me??? I'm so glad to hear how well he is doing. Gosh, he so cute. Good luck with all his eye appointments. I recently read The Help and over Christmas break The Hunger Games Trilogy. Both are excellent and keep you reading to the very end! Loved them! (maybe you've already read them - I seem to be the last one to read stuff) love you Behka and all your sweet family. You are constantly in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so SO sweet! I love how peacefully happy he looks! Good books? I'm embarrassed to say that my son probably knows, but I don't. :) Good luck with the appointments. You are so amazing! Keeping you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete