Thursday, December 9, 2010

Day 4

Jonah has graduated to a CRIB! This is an important step in preparation for coming HOME. Since we will take care of his temperature regulation with a heating pad and close monitoring, that's what we've switched to here. He has done great.

When the doctors came by this afternoon, they talked about what else he needs to do to come home. Basically, he needs to get his feeding up to a normal amount for weight gain without refluxing. That's it. His head hasn't grown at all since he was born, so right now he won't need a shunt. (What a blessing to skip surgery! And since he hasn't needed surgery he is still here at U of U Hospital, lots closer to MOM:) They talked about discharging him on Sunday if we don't have any problems.

They increased his feeds very quickly from yesterday to today, and he has tolerated them well. I should be so excited about his progress, but I sit by his bedside and watch each breath, certain that he is going to fail. Our other boys tolerated their feeds until day 5 when they both refluxed (threw up), aspirated(it went into the lungs because they didn't have the reflex to protect their airway), quit breathing, and had to be rescusitated. Its extremely stressful for me. Why couldn't Jonah be different? Maybe he won't reflux. Maybe he has more physical ability. One good sign is that he coughed today. Super cute, by the way, but also a life saving measure on his part.
Being in the NICU this time is a completely different experience than in the past. The NICU can be a stressful place to be with all the alarms and cords and doctors and nurses. Its a place you hope you never have to go. But this time, since my sweet baby boy is there, its where I want to be. He is so absolutely calming to hold. He soothes my spirit and comforts me. I love being
just down the hall from him where I can walk over at any hour and be with him. I am scheduled to come home tomorrow.

And here's the BIGGEST BLESSING OF ALL: There is an organization called 'Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep' that takes pictures for families with infants who have a fatal diagnosis. They are coming tomorrow to take pictures of our family, and since we need everyone in the picture, our kids get to come into the NICU and see their brother. We have had some very unhappy kids who want to hold Jonah, and now they will get the chance. Love it!

6 comments:

  1. He's so cute Behka! I'm so glad your kids finally get to see him. My kids have been checking in on his blog as well as me(several times a day). They are very interested in how baby Jonah is doing and we are all praying for him. hugs to you all. Glad to hear he's keeping food down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so handsome and edible! Thanks for sharing. Keep those coughs coming baby Jonah! Have fun with family pictures. That is such a wonderful thing that they do there. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so sweet. I am so glad that Rob gave me the link so I could see sweet Jonah! We are so happy for you and pray for you daily. You are so strong and such an inspiration to me. Thank you for being so great. We are so lucky to have been able to connect with you and your family. The pictures will be so special for your kids. We wish you the best Behka! Love, CAmille

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I am so happy that Jonah is doing so well, I understand your hesitation of things going so well but we'll continue to pray and hope things stay on the up and up. Can't wait to see the family pictures. Thanks for sharing you story Bek, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Behka and family...he is so beautiful! We are thrilled that you may bring him home so soon. We have been keeping you all in our prayers. Your family is such an inspiration to all of us! The Pextons (Kayla's family :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad your kids get to meet their sweet little brother! We will continue to have you in our thoughts and prayers. He is so sweet, it makes me tear up! I love it!

    ReplyDelete